Immigrate Sponsorship

Spouse / Children

Canadian citizens or permanent residents may sponsor their  spouse*  and dependent children** to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents. 

The Canadian permanent resident or citizen that wants to sponsor their spouse and children must be 18 years of age or older. The following requirements also apply:

  • The sponsor must sign a sponsorship agreement with the sponsored relative, which commits the sponsor to provide the sponsored with financial support, if necessary. This agreement also states that the sponsored person will do their best for financial independence.
  • The sponsor must provide financial support for a spouse for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
  • The sponsor must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor your spouse or children to immigrate to Canada.


* A spouse is a person who is legally married to a Canadian permanent resident or citizen. If the marriage was outside Canada, it must be valid and legal under the law of the country where it took place.

** A child is considered dependent if the child:

  • is under the age of 19 and is not married; or
  • is over the age of 19 (married or unmarried), but has been a full-time student continuously since before the age of 19 and requires the financial support of a parent, or
  • is over the age of 19, but depends on the financial support of a parent because of a physical or mental condition.