Immigrate Federal Skilled Trades

Federal Skilled Trades - Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for immigration under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must:

  1. plan to live anywhere except the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec has its own skilled workers selection. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec Permanent Workers for more information),

  2. meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),

  3. have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,

  4. meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and

  5. have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.


The Federal Skilled Trades Program does not have an education requirement. But, if an applicant wants to earn points for their education under Express Entry, they either need:

  • a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree


  • a completed foreign credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by IRCC. [The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.]

* “Full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid work experience. For example:

  • 15 hours per week in one job over four years, or
  • a total of 30 combined hours per week in more than one job over two years.

** Up to two employers can commit to employing you for at least one year of continuous full-time work, meaning at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week.